Can we run LetSys on two machines, sharing the same data?

For support requests (and discussion) by users of the Holiday Letting System.
To prevent SPAM, registrations are approved only for users. (Send us an email before registering if you have a good reason and are not a user). Remember, you can view the forum without registering.

Moderator:bblake

bblake
Site Admin
Can we run LetSys on two machines, sharing the same data?

Post by bblake » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:15 pm

As our agency has expanded, we now have two people handling the business. Is it possible to run LetSys on two machines, with both able to work with the same data?

(We've now had this query from several different places.)

bblake
Site Admin

Re: Can we run LetSys on two machines, sharing the same data

Post by bblake » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm

LetSys was not written with this in mind, but we are working on it! The problem with working with two machines, is that if two people start trying to update the same data, there can be multiple updates with loss of a booking or change to a booking.

In the meantime, there is partial solution. It is possible to view (but not change) the data from a second machine, without risk of data loss (assuming both are on a network, of course).

Let's assume you have LetSys installed on machine 1, with the data in folder C:\LetSys.
First you need to share the data in C:\LetSys across the network.

Then install LetSys on the second machine (you are allowed to do this, providing you do not manage more properties in total than you are licensed for.)

Your next step is to ensure all the settings on the second machine are the same as on the first machine. The easiest way to do this is by moving the settings file (LetSys.ini) from the first into the second machine's root LetSys folder, and then clicking restore settings on the Special Tab of the configuration Program.

Next, on the second machine, open the configuration program. On the general tab, browse through the network for the LetSys folder on the first machine. Click Browse Then browse to locate the folder on the first machine. (If you are in a workgroup, this normally involves selecting My Network Places / Entire Network / Microsoft Windows Network / Workgroup name / Machine 1 etc. )

Save the new settings.

You should set the permissions (on machine 1) for the shared folder to "read only" to avoid the risk of data loss.

Now the second machine can view the booking status, but updates can be done only from the first machine. You can do anything that does not change the database. There’s no risk of lost data providing the folder is read only across the network. You need someone who is proficient at setting permissions to assist.

A few things to be aware of:
If an update is made on the first machine, it won't be visible on the second until LetSys is restarted. It is worth getting in the habit of starting up LetSys each time you have a query, and then shutting it down again, since LetSys is so quick to start up.

If someone wants you to hold a week or change a booking, the updates need to be done on the first machine still.

If you change the settings on one machine, you need to ensure the same change is made on the second.

(The ability to share data more securely across multiple machines is on the requirements list, but rather a long way down.)

I hope that helps.

Brendan Blake

Hall Farm Cottages
Enter final number (5) (Spam prevention):5

Post by Hall Farm Cottages » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:26 am

Hi, Please excuse me if I'm talking rubbish, but am only an amateur!
I have been running LetSys on more than one machine for some time (please let me know if I have exceeded my licence and I will pay any extra required)
I have stored the "root or base folder" on Dropbox and then directed each PC to that folder - it seems to work as long as you set each PC up to look for the correct properties, there seems to be no problem.
The only difficulty I now have is updating to the latest version; any thoughts would be welcome.

Many thanks for a great program!

ps. It might be worth mentioning in the instructions that if an "expense" for any month is zero then the category doesn't show up in the monthly report
- it caused me a lot of frustration before I realised this.

bblake
Site Admin

Post by bblake » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Yes - running two machines with the data shared via Dropbox will work, in so far that both machines can share the same data.

However, you need to ensure that only one machine actually updates data at a time. LetSys reads the data into memory to make it very fast to write out a status display when an update occurs. But as a result you can easily lose data. For example if Machine 1 adds a booking for property 1, and machine 2, which already had letsys running with old data in memory, then adds a different booking for the same property, the first booking will be erased, as Machine 2 does not refresh the "in memory" file.

We are working on an improvement to remove the restriction. But in the meantime, take great care. And yes, you should be paying for a second license... but I will overlook that for the time being and ask for a payment later for the new feature!

Which version are you currently running? If you want to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.7, then do the following:
- Download the new version, and take a backup on both machines, just to be on the safe side.
- Then disconnect both machines from the internet, and just upgrade both.

No data formats were changed as I recall, so there won't be much data for Dropbox to sort out once you reconnect.

If you have any problems just let me know. Brendan.

daniel
Enter final number (5) (Spam prevention):5

Post by daniel » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:05 pm

bblake wrote:As our agency has expanded, we now have two people handling the business. Is it possible to run LetSys on two machines, with both able to work with the same data?

(We've now had this query from several different places.)
It would be good having this feature.