New Computer

For support requests (and discussion) by users of the Holiday Letting System.
To prevent SPAM, registrations are approved only for users. (Send us an email before registering if you have a good reason and are not a user). Remember, you can view the forum without registering.

Moderator:bblake

Hall Farm Cottages
Enter final number (5) (Spam prevention):5
New Computer

Post by Hall Farm Cottages » Tue May 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi, I currently have a laptop and it needs replacing, I want to replace it with a tablet. Would I be able to use the Holiday Letting System on a tablet?
Many thanks
Hannah

bblake
Site Admin

Re: New Computer

Post by bblake » Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Interesting question. Certainly you won't be able to use it on an iPad.

I wonder whether it would run on a tablet running Windows 8? That needs investigating - let me try to find a moment to find out. It would need the Win32 API to be supported.

I wouldn't personally use a tablet for serious work, as I would need a decent keyboard. But they are great for web browsing and looking at photos etc.

Brendan.

Hall Farm Cottages

Post by Hall Farm Cottages » Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks Brendan I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you. I agree with you about not having it for series work but I am looking for something to carry around with me and thought maybe a tablet was the way forward.

Have a good day.
Kind regards
Hannah

bblake
Site Admin

Post by bblake » Thu May 09, 2013 6:44 pm

I've had time to dig around a little more. It would seem that the new Microsoft Windows 8 Surface Pro tablet is able to run more or less any Windows Application, and in that case that should include LetSys. This processor is based on an Intel processor, unlike the ARM based windows RT tablet.

Here's a review of this particular tablet: http://techland.time.com/2013/02/05/rev ... an-tablet/.
It seems rather an expensive beast to me, and the review says that to get the best from a conventional windows application you ideally attach a pointing device and a keyboard. Might as well buy a PC!

If I had the time (which currently I don't) I think the solution would be to migrate LetSys to become a web based application. Or maybe just provide a more substantial web front end than now, leaving some of the heavier functions (especially reporting) on the PC. Then you could get at key data from any browser on any device. But that's a lot of work, and looks to be more of a wish anything else.

I recall you already publish your rates and availability to the web. You can obviously view that on a tablet, which enables simple queries to be handled without switching on the PC.

I hope that is of interest if not of much use!

Best wishes,
Brendan.

Hall Farm Cottages

Post by Hall Farm Cottages » Sat May 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Dear Brendan

Thank you so much for your reply. I may have to rethink!!

Really appreciate your time, have a good weekend.

Kind regards
Hannah