Email problem

For support requests (and discussion) by users of the Holiday Letting System.
To prevent SPAM, registrations are approved only for users. (Send us an email before registering if you have a good reason and are not a user). Remember, you can view the forum without registering.

Moderator:bblake

Alison
Enter final number (5) (Spam prevention):5
Email problem

Post by Alison » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:29 pm

I have just upgraded to Windows 7 32 bit (from XP) and have installed Office 365. I also upgraded to the new version of LetSys. Everything works fine except for pro-forma emails - if I select "create or view" an email, it just responds with a dialog: "Email cancelled - not sent". I tried setting up the internal email client, but the same happens. However, if I click on the email button in a record, it works. My husband (who, if truth be told, does all the techy stuff) has a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and Office 365. He installed LetSys 4 there and everything works fine. Any ideas?

bblake
Site Admin

Re: Email problem

Post by bblake » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi Alison,

Apologies. I've only just seen this as the email notifying me of your post was rejected by 1&1 - I'm going to have to stop using them for email!

You haven't separately called or emailed me so I am hoping that you resolved this yourself. Certainly, your husband's experience indicates it is a problem associated with your machine's setup.
I've had customers with similar problems before. They are often fixed from the control panel. Locate "set default programs" and make sure your email program has all its defaults set. If that's not done the email request will be sent to the wrong place and fail.

By the way, if you click the email button when viewing a booking record, you are invoking the email system in a different way and this often works when the more complex interface (MAPI) that we use for the email templates fails.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you haven't managed to fix this. Contact details are here: http://holletsys.co.uk/contact.htm Brendan Blake.

Alison
Enter final number (5) (Spam prevention):5

Post by Alison » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:20 am

Problem found to be a registry error - found a file called CheckMAPI.vbs which is provided by MYOB to solve this kind of problem. Ran it, rebooted and all is working.

bblake
Site Admin

Post by bblake » Thu May 21, 2015 11:55 pm

This problem has now affected other LetSys users. In the most recent case it was caused by a re-installation of Outlook 2010.

Once again, this was fixed by running the script CHECKMAPI.vbs This script (it is documented) checks and correct the registry settings needed to get MAPI to run.
MAPI stands for "Messaging Application Programming Interface" and is used by LetSys to send emails via your own client.

I've run it myself just to check for any problems. Please backup before running it!

CheckMAPI.vbs is provided by MYOB. Run it and then reboot.

This script can be downloaded from here: http://support.accountedge.com/kb/error ... 2dll-error

Documentation is not good, but I found the following instructions, which I've edited together from different sources:

The MYOB website states "Note that this tool has been created independently and provided to MYOB so we take no responsibility for its use."
To run the tool:
- Click the following link (if prompted, choose to save the file to your Desktop): http://get.acclivitysoftware.com/downlo ... ckMAPI.zip
- Depending on your web browser and its settings, clicking this link may automatically open the ZIP file as shown in the following step.
- If the ZIP file doesn’t automatically open, double-click the downloaded ZIP file to open it. You’ll see it contains a single file called CheckMAPI.VBS
- Double-click the CheckMAPI.VBS file to open the tool.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to run the tool and fix your issue.
If for any reason you need to undo the changes made by this tool, simply double-click the downloaded CheckMAPI.VBS file to run the tool again. You’ll then be able to restore your original Windows settings."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note this problem is caused by Microsoft altering your machines settings when you upgrade Microsoft software. The problem is not caused by the Holiday Letting System. This suggestion is made without any assurance that it will work, although, as above, it has worked for other users. Brendan Blake

bblake
Site Admin

Re: Email problem - on Windows 10.

Post by bblake » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:30 pm

Another user has reported an email problem with LetSys 4.1 on Windows 10 after applying upgrades or fixes.
The message seen was "Error Code=26 unable to send emails". He had tried running the fix referred to above, namely executing the script CheckMAPI.vbs but this did not work.

He subsequently reported that he had been able to fix the problem - here's what did the trick:

"After searching on Google “MAPI broken windows 10” I found that MAPI can get broken after the install of a Windows update. The vbs script that worked previously no longer fixes the problem. After reading several problems reported about MAPI related problems and outlook I saw that the recommended solution was to use the Repair option in MS office install utilities. This took over an hour to complete and after a final reboot I was able to send emails again from Letsys."

We hope this hasn't affected anyone else, but are reporting this just in case.