Can the system handle UK VAT?

For support requests (and discussion) by users of the Holiday Letting System.
To prevent SPAM, registrations are approved only for users. (Send us an email before registering if you have a good reason and are not a user). Remember, you can view the forum without registering.

Moderator:bblake

bblake
Site Admin
Can the system handle UK VAT?

Post by bblake » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Q: If I use this system, can I use it to help with my VAT returns?
A: Yes - you can, although this is not specifically built in. However, the system will produce a list of lets (and totals) for each property in spreadsheet (.csv) format. Open the file in a spreadsheet, and then just enter the appropriate formula to calculate the proportion of the rental that is VAT or Sales tax etc).
Example (at current UK VAT rates): if the income from a let is in cell D3, enter the formula +D3*0.175/1.175 in an appropriate cell further across the row. The result will be the amount of VAT taken. You can quickly replicate this formula down a column to see the complete list of VAT receipts, and you can then print the sheet to get your VAT return.

bblake
Site Admin

Re: Can the system handle UK VAT?

Post by bblake » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:07 pm

VAT handling is improved further in version 3.2 (September 2009).

See this item:

VAT receipts: If you are VAT registered, is it now possible to create a VAT (or other tax) receipt using the system. Two new special strings allow you to include the appropriate amounts on one of the automated letters. You can set the tax as a percentage on the rent tab of the configuration program.

Brendan Blake.