Unable to send emails via Thunderbird

For support requests (and discussion) by users of the Holiday Letting System.
To prevent SPAM, registrations are approved only for users. (Send us an email before registering if you have a good reason and are not a user). Remember, you can view the forum without registering.

Moderator:bblake

wetheral
Enter final number (5) (Spam prevention):5
Unable to send emails via Thunderbird

Post by wetheral » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:18 pm

Hi I have just updated my system to windows 10 and use a different email client I now use thunderbird. In windows 10 I set it to be the default app to send and receive emails. I cannot generate emails to confirm bookings. When I use the Letter Processing to send an email it fails, no window to verify content and allow you to send the email is displayed just a small information window that states "Email Cancelled - not sent".

If I hit the "Write email" in the Letsys Booking Window" this works all OK.

Kind regards

Don Rogers

bblake
Site Admin

Re: Unable to send emails via Thunderbird

Post by bblake » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:54 pm

Thunderbird does not support the Microsoft "Messaging Application Programming Interface" (MAPI). So you can't send the booking confirmation emails that you are used to.

The two alternatives are switch your email client, or there is now an email client built into LetSys. This can send HTML formatted emails.
Please read the topic "Configuring LetSys as an email client" in the Help.

UPDATE: To be more precise, LetSys needs the "Extended MAPI interface" which is not supported by Mozilla. There is also a simple MAPI interface which Thunderbird does support. There is more information here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support

bblake
Site Admin

Post by bblake » Sat May 16, 2020 9:30 am

Please also be aware that the Windows 10 Mail App also does not support the necessary interface (MAPI). So this is not an alternative to either using Outlook or the built-in email client.

For example, this reference makes it clear that Windows MAIL is a basic Mail client, with no MAPI support. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 6944ceb424

bblake
Site Admin

Post by bblake » Thu May 21, 2020 11:11 pm

FIXED!

There's an updated beta version of LetSys available (V4.3.0.5) from the beta page: https://holletsys.co.uk/beta.htm

This latest version replaces the standard email interface with one that should work in most situations. We have tested this reasonably extensively and the tests show that you can now send automated emails through the Windows 10 Mail App, as well as Thunderbird and Outlook. The new interface should work with other email clients. I would be grateful if anyone testing this could let me know if it works.

(This does not affect the built in email client.)

Thanks - Brendan.